Telecommunications Network Engineer - US Citizenship & Active Secret Clearance required (Kuwait)
(Job Number: FIV01838)
Primary Location : Kuwait-Camp Arifjan
Clearance Level : SECRET
Work Where it Matters
Five Rivers Services (FRS), an Akima company, is not just another federal IT contractor. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), our mission and purpose extend beyond our exciting federal projects as we support our shareholder communities in Alaska.
At FRS, the work you do every day makes a difference in the lives of our 15,000 Iñupiat shareholders, a group of Alaska natives from one of the most remote and harshest environments in the United States.
For our shareholders, FRS provides support and employment opportunities and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years.
For our government customers, FRS provides full-spectrum capabilities including enterprise IT support services, satellite and communications IT operations and maintenance support, classified and unclassified base operations and administrative services, and more.
As a FRS employee, you will be surrounded by a challenging, yet supportive work environment that is committed to innovation and diversity, two of our most important values. You will also have access to our comprehensive benefits and competitive pay in addition to growth opportunities and excellent retirement options.
FRS is looking for a Telecommunications Network Engineer to work at a deployed location. To join our team of outstanding professionals, apply today!
- The Telecommunications Network Engineer will ensure that the military customer’s telecommunications services and devices function as expected. This position requires expert-level knowledge of telecommunication systems, hardware communication utilities, utility mapping, utility relocation, utility coordination and utility design.
- Responsible for the design of small to large-scale telecommunication networks, consisting of Microwave, fiber optics, PBX’s, LAN’s, WAN’s, encryption, IDS, etc.
- The applicant should have a wide knowledge of various telecommunication products, tools, services and be familiar with various telecom vendors.
- Outside Plant/Inside Plant (OSP/ISP) Project Management, Quality Control and Final Testing for all Information Management Directorate (IMD) Telecom Projects.
- OSP/ISP provisioning and maintenance of design drawings.
- Providing direct assistance for the overall maintenance of ISP installations, as well as with new equipment. This includes network, data center, WAN and LAN hardware, in addition to systematic upgrades, as required.
- Researching local power code and policies to be integrated into the network design process.
- Conducting proposed project site surveys.
- Examining ‘As-Built’ plans and test results, to include reviewing the drawings of all underground and above ground elements, ensuring that all applicable construction and engineering requirements are met, and/or applying approved technologies and architectures to specific requirements.
- Providing engineering guidance about telecommunication, CCTV, CATV, and intrusion detection system (IDS) issues to ensure that the infrastructure is properly installed to take care of communication needs.
- Identifying and rectifying OSP/ISP-related engineering problems with innovative solutions while developing construction designs and/or drawings.
- Performing root cause analysis on communication issues and research methods to increase connectivity efficiency.
- Providing proposed project cost estimates, material lists/bill of materials (BOM) recommendations and design.
- Planning, designing, implementing, and troubleshooting telecommunication systems, network, and plant facilities, to include defining plans for the implementation of new plant construction and/or the modification of existing facilities.
- Planning, designing and troubleshooting small to large telecommunication networks consisting of Microwave, fiber optics, Private Branch Exchange (PBX) LAN’s, encryption etc.
- Assisting with vendor selection, working with vendors to obtain quotations, and responding to the Requests for Proposals (RFP) by developing technical documentation, graphical artwork, and material lists for the RFP as required.
- Providing support and consulting to internal customers on voice communications related issues and services such as adds/moves/changes to existing communications networks.
- Producing accurate telecommunications network diagrams in 2D or 3D, as required, within time constraints.
- Researching and maintaining an understanding of various telecommunication products and services, to include protective distribution systems (PDS) and Panduit systems.
- Extensive contact will be required with external service providers of Microwave, Power, Fiber Optic and other communication vendors.
- Providing support and consulting to customers on subsurface site survey-related issues and services, such as routing or changes in direction or location.
- Performing other duties and assignments, as required.
- US Citizenship required.
- Active Secret Clearance, or above required.
- Associate degree in engineering or related field (electrical and/or electronics engineering, electrical and/or electronics communications engineering or telecommunications engineering).
- Three (3) or more years of proven work experience in the telecommunication engineering field, designing and implementing networks, troubleshooting, and with site surveys as a Telecommunications Network Engineer, or in a similar role.
- Must have proven work experience in the telecommunication engineering field, designing and implementing networks, troubleshooting, and with site surveys.
- Must be able to obtain a Kuwait Driver’s License (KDL) or International Driver’s Permit.
- Must have possess all of the following certifications:
- BICSI OSP Designer
- Fiber-to-the-x Outside Plant Design (FTTx-OSP Design)
- Certified Outside Plant Fiber Optic Specialist
- BICSI Information Transport System (ITS) Technician, or equivalent certification/training
- Must be able to produce a bill of materials (BOM) and complete network diagrams in a 2D format with and/or without elevation via AutoCAD, or a similar platform.
- Experience writing or assisting with the development of Statements of Work (SOWs), Performance of Work Statements (POWs), and/or similar contracting-related documents.
- In-depth understanding of outside plant facilities, such as, cable sizing, cable counts, and cable records.
- Excellent computer proficiency in Microsoft Projects, Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word.
- 3D AutoCAD design experience preferred.
- Systems design experience with the following: CCTV, CATV, IPTV, Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), LAN/WAN/CAN, radio frequency engineering, microwave, Layer 2 networks, optical line terminals (OLT), and/or advanced AutoCAD functionalities.
- Capable of effectively communicating technical information in English, both written and verbal.
- Excellent Customer service.
- Knowledgeable in the use of power tools and test equipment.
- Knowledgeable to act on unique or recurring telecommunications problems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Material & Equipment Directly Used:
Radio detection 7000, Radio detection 4000 and the GSSIT TERRASIRCH SIR System-3000, Computer, printer, network equipment and other general office equipment.
Work is generally conducted in a work center administrative environment. However, duties may involve working outside with a potential exposure to extreme temperatures. Employee use of personal protective equipment (PPE) in certain areas is required. Such PPE includes but is not limited to head, foot, hand, torso, respiratory, vision and hearing protective devices.
Normal work week is 72 hours but may be required to work overtime.
May be required to lift, climb, extended sitting or standing, or other physical efforts that are normally required. In addition, visual acuity, hearing and speaking requirements are required.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law. If you are an individual with a disability, and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-353-7053 (information about job applications status is not available at this contact information).
Job : Engineering/Design
Work Type : On-Site
Shift : Day Job
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Organization : Five Rivers Services, LLC