What You’ll Be Doing
- If you are a GIS expert, skilled at creating, updating, managing, and correcting personal geodatabases, file geodatabases, Parsons has an opportunity for you! If you are interested in ArcGIS software work, GPS field work, quality control of spatial data, map creation and publishing, and GIS technical support, you could serve as our newest GIS specialist.
- The GIS Specialist uses Geographic Information Systems (GIS), database, and spreadsheet software for GIS design, GIS mapping and analysis, database design and system development, and compilation and analysis of geographic data. May use three or more sets of data simultaneously, and may require programming in languages such as Visual Basic, HTML, Cold Fusion, Avenue, and AML.
What Required Skills You’ll Bring
- 4-year degree in Geography, Planning, Engineering, Computer Science or related curriculum (or equivalent) or other diploma or degrees consistent with project
- 7+ years of related experience
- Proficiency in GIS software applications and programming is required. Also requires a demonstrated proficiency in both written and oral communication skills and a working knowledge of industry practices. In addition, the incumbent must possess the following specific skills and competencies:
- Ability to design and maintain GIS databases and other database formats such as Microsoft Access, dBase, etc.
- Proficiency in cartography and map design, including coordinating systems, projections, and map scales.
- Ability to utilize, convert and incorporate various types of data into GIS. Examples of this data include Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD), Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and database files.
- Knowledge of programming and scripting languages such as Visual Basic, Python, HTML, AML, EML, Cold Fusion, etc.
- Systems automation skills (e.g., UNIX scripts, NT batch scripts, Linux scripts)
- Systems and peripheral troubleshooting skills
- Ability to independently assess data anomalies, software problems, and program design flaws, and take appropriate steps to make the project work.
- Ability to ascertain hardware/software limitations, how to work within them, and what can be done when limits are reached.
- Ability to communicate results of assigned tasks in writing.
- Ability to document work performed on a project in project logs.
- Ability to document specific information about project data in the metadata file.
- Proficiency in basic office automation software including MS-Word or MS-Excel.
What Desired Skills You’ll Bring
- Well-developed skills with one or more GIS packages including scripting, programming, modeling, and designing.
Minimum Clearance Required to Start:
Not Applicable/None Parsons is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran.