SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
• Provide technical expertise in the design, implementation, and maintenance of relational database management systems (RDBMSs) that support the University applications.
• Technically support multiple databases that run university-wide applications which are accessed by multiple departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Review, develop and design data models using standard diagramming techniques.
• Create logical data models and translate it into physical database structures that integrate with existing or proposed database structures.
• Perform both Oracle and operating system performance tuning and monitoring.
• Perform Database cloning activities, restoring database objects and data.
• Monitor relational databases to optimize database performance, resource use and physical implementations of databases.
• Address a variety of database integration issues including migration between disparate databases, integration, maintenance/conversion, capacity planning issues and new applications.
• Monitor and maintain database security and database software in cooperation with the system administrators.
• Maintain availability and integrity of databases through multiple access schemes; facilitates sharing of common data by overseeing proper key and index management and data dictionary maintenance.
• Monitor and manage database backups, logs, and journals; install, maintain and upgrade database software; restore and/or recover data as required.
• Test and upgrade application patches.
• Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned .
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or IT.
• 10 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Knowledge of UNIX (Linux, Sun-Solaris), Windows 2003 & 2008 platforms.
• Knowledge of Oracle Database 11g.
• Knowledge of Oracle Application Server 10g.
• Knowledge of current technological developments/ trends.
• Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in their area of expertise.
• Ability to use standard diagramming techniques to design and develop computer data models.
• Ability to implement and troubleshoot programming changes and modifications.
• Knowledge of database cloning methods and techniques.
• Ability to install, maintain, modify, and upgrade database software.
• Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.